You may not think about your garage door too often, especially if it is doing its job. But that does not mean that a problem cannot arise. The following is a simple guide that will help keep your garage door working and will also help you diagnose any potential problems before they get out of hand:
Simple Maintenance Tips
The following are just a few things you can to do extend the life of your garage doors:
- You should do your best to lubricate your garage doors, especially if you live in an area with extreme temperatures. You can purchase this lubricant for your garage at your local hardware store to protect your door from warping or losing some structure.
- Oil the springs, which are usually visible within the rod that pulls and pushes your garage door. You can refer to your owner's manual for the exact location.
- Have your garage door specialist perform a complete check and tune-up regularly.
No matter how much you prepare, there may still be a problem that needs to be taken care of.
Look For Signs Of Garage Door Troubles
The following are just a few steps you can take to see if your garage door needs servicing:
- One of the simplest things you can do is visually check your garage door components. This means you should look at your garage door springs, hinges, rollers, cables and pulleys for signs of wear.
- Perform the manual lift test. To do this, just close your garage door, and disconnect your automatic opener. Now just lift your garage door manually. Your garage doors are balanced if they lift without too much resistance and stay open without your help. Talk to your garage door specialist should your garage door fail this test, as you may have an imbalanced garage door. This could lead to costly damage to your garage door like the springs or motor. The damage may occur because of the extra pressure needed to close and open your garage doors.
- Make sure your garage door reversing system is fully operational. The reversing system is installed in garage doors to prevent entrapment. To make sure your garage door has a good reversing system, just open your garage doors. Next, you will place something hard like a box or a garbage where the garage door meets the ground. Close the garage door. Your garage door should automatically reverse once it hits the object on the ground.